Lahore Football
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ferguson turns sights to Europe

Go down

Ferguson turns sights to Europe Empty Ferguson turns sights to Europe

Post by sulehri Mon May 12, 2008 10:35 pm

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has set his sights on the Champions League final after clinching his 10th league title.

Ferguson turns sights to Europe _44646143_fergusongetty282

United won their 17th title with a 2-0 win at Wigan Athletic as Chelsea, their opponents in Moscow on 21 May, could only draw 1-1 at home to Bolton.

"We are bouncing into that final now," Ferguson said. "If we'd lost the title it would have been different.

"If this team goes on now and wins the European Cup, it will be my best ever."

United carved out their Premier League victory with a hard-fought victory against Steve Bruce's side, the goals coming from Cristiano Ronaldo via the penalty spot and Ryan Giggs on the day he equalled Sir Bobby Charlton's club record of 758 appearances for United.

And Giggs said he was confident United could go on to win Ferguson a second European Cup to add to the one the team won in 1999.

"We have a really solid base here, starting with the likes of Edwin (van der Sar) and Rio (Ferdinand) at the back, plus players who can damage teams and score goals.

"Next week we'll be ready for Moscow. We need to make the most of the occasion as they don't come around very often and hopefully we'll win the Champions League."

Ferguson said it was fitting that Giggs scored the goal that put the seal on the title and allowed the celebrations to get under way at the JJB Stadium.

"It was a tough one all right. For most of the game we played well but there were some nervous moments," Ferguson said.

"I was pleased with that second goal. It makes it 10 (title medals) today for Ryan Giggs which is fantastic."

Wigan manager Steve Bruce, a former team-mate of Giggs, said the Welshman's goal had provided a fitting ending to United's Premier League campaign.

"I was fortunate to play on his debut, when he scored," Bruce said. "He has equalled the record and he is just a great, great player. He epitomises what Manchester United are about."

Giggs added: "I think we have deserved to win the title this season. Trophies mean a lot to me.

"It was always going to a be a bit nervous for us until we got the second goal.

"I'm obviously very proud to equal the record of someone like Sir Bobby Charlton, who has been watching me develop at the club since I was 14 years old.

"It means a lot as he is probably the best player in the history of the club."

Ferguson believes his team can now go on to break Liverpool's record of 18 league titles.

"I think it will come - this side is young. There is plenty left in them," he said.

"I said before the game that I am not bothered about records. This is what it is about, championships and trophies.

"I am at a great club which makes it easier for me than the rest."

United assistant manager Carlos Quieroz paid tribute to the desire of the players, telling BBC Sport: "Our hunger comes from the feeling of achievement in what is always a very competitive environment.

"We always have a challenge within the club - nothing is ever enough for us, and that is what drives us on.

"The desire is always here and there are still a lot of things left to do."
sulehri
sulehri
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 200
Favourite team : Manchester United
Registration date : 2008-03-20

https://lahorefootball.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down